Friday, September 1, 2017

How to create a starry night light using the Deflecto Craft Frame

Hi everyone, my name is Josefine, and I'm guest designing for Deflecto Crafts in the months of September and October. You have no idea how excited I am ;) For my first project, I created a starry night light which looks great on a kids' night stand or as decoration anywhere.


The Deflecto Craft Frame with the black border is the perfect surface to create a stained glass effect! Before I could add the paint, I had to draw the stars. Thankfully, I had a stencil that was full of stars in different sizes. This really made things easy. The paint I was using needs a border in order to not move everywhere, so I used a dimensional paste to outline the stars. This paste had to dry for about 24 hours.


Now I was able to pour the paint directly onto the Craft Frame, yellow and orange for the stars and blue for the background. I also added some effects using glitter and other, more opaque paint. It is so much fun to watch the paint move and mix with each other. It's a little unpredictable, which I really like.


Patience is the key! This paint has to dry for about 48 hours. But the result was so stunning that it was worth waiting. As soon as everything was dry (the frame had to lay perfectly flat during the drying time), I created the light box for the back side. In order for the lights to be at the right place behind the stars and not randomly anywhere, I used the same stencil to estimate where the single LED bulbs have to be. The light box is just a medium sized USPS flat rate box, cut in half and covered in black card stock. I poked a couple of holes into the back and squeezed the tiny LED bulbs into them.


I needed, even more, patience while waiting till it got dark. I really wanted to see how it turned out. What do you think? Is this a unique night light or what? :D


And here is my "kid" photo bombing my pictures. She doesn't seem too impressed ;)


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed the project and feel inspired to create your own stained glass effect using the Deflecto Craft Frame. Josefine

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...